Semaglutide is the revolutionary FDA-approved weight-loss solution that’s changing the lives of people across the country, or indeed, across the globe.
If you don’t already know all about semaglutide, have a read of our previous blog on the subject, where we explained all the ins and outs of this incredible solution to achieving effective and long-lasting weight loss.
However, as effective as semaglutide clearly is (and it really is), you may be wondering if there are specific changes you need to make to your diet or lifestyle in order to achieve the sort of weight loss it promises?
And the answer is: yes, and no….
There are no official nutritional guidelines that semaglutide patients need to follow, and semaglutide will work to a certain extent on its own. But as with any kind of diet or weight-loss program, your overall lifestyle and eating habits will have a big impact on its overall success and longevity, not to mention how good you feel…
…which, here at BodyTonic in Cleveland, is always one of our primary concerns. So although we’re not nutritionists, we are licensed providers of semaglutide, and we do know how you can maximize your semaglutide weight-loss experience.
So if you think semaglutide might be right for you, keep reading to find out our recommendations for how to make this treatment truly, life-changingly effective.
Why you should create a semaglutide diet plan for weight loss
One of the core ways in which semaglutide works is by simultaneously decreasing your appetite and making you feel full faster, and for longer. This means you naturally want to eat less, which leads to weight loss without needing extraordinary willpower or feeling deprived and hungry.
However, you still need to eat, and what you eat will still make a big difference.
As with any kind of weight loss, total calorie consumption is important, but so is the nutritional value of what you’re eating. Food has a huge impact on our energy levels, overall vitality, our metabolism, strength, and so much more, so it’s vital that you ensure you’re getting adequate nutrition.
By combining semaglutide injections with a healthy diet and some other lifestyle changes, you’ll not only see far more weight fall off, but you’ll feel much better while doing it, AND you’ll be forging great new habits that will help you keep the weight off long term.
So while there isn’t “one specific diet plan” or any “official nutritional guidelines” that have to be followed when taking semaglutide for weight loss, adjustments to your diet and lifestyle will always be recommended by your doctor or practitioner.
And by creating your own semaglutide diet plan, you’re giving yourself some structure while you adjust to a new way of eating, which makes it an easier path to follow.
Tips for creating your semaglutide diet plan and lifestyle changes
So what kind of changes do you need to be making to your diet and lifestyle?
Ultimately it’s the same advice as always: a healthy balanced diet and regular exercise. But the good news is, this advice is much easier to follow when taking semaglutide – as you will naturally be less hungry, and your food cravings will most likely change, so choosing a salad over a sugary snack will be much easier…
We know it’s helpful to have more actionable tips than just “follow a healthier diet and lifestyle” though, so here are a number of other things that will help you on your semaglutide weight-loss journey:
- Follow a balanced, nutritious diet: high in fruit, vegetables, fiber, and lean protein
- Keep your meals small but frequent, and don’t skip breakfast: regular meals keep your metabolism working to burn more fat
- Plan your meals in advance: this stops the temptation of unhealthy snacking or eating fast food
- Vary your meals: it’s not only more interesting and ensures a balance of nutrients, but keeps your body working harder to digest different foods which supports a faster metabolism
- Always shop with a list: it helps avoid the temptation of picking up naughty snacks
- Eat more slowly: this prevents you from eating more than you need
- Walk more: ideally, you need to be exercising for at least 30 minutes a day, a minimum of four times a week, and walking more is the easiest way to integrate this into your daily routine
- Get plenty of good quality sleep: lack of sleep affects so many things, including appetite and food choices
- Drink plenty of water: being properly hydrated has many positive impacts on your health, including promoting weight loss and maintenance.
Recommended calorie intake for patients on semaglutide medications for weight loss
There’s no single recommended calorie intake for semaglutide patients, as it will depend on every individual’s starting weight, estimated metabolism, medical history, and other individualized factors.
As is always the case with weight loss, the most important factor is to be consuming fewer calories than you burn. However, typically the recommended calorie intake for semaglutide patients is between 1,000 and 1,800 calories per day.
If you currently eat much more than this, it’s important not to radically decrease your food intake overnight. Gradual changes are always more effective, longer-lasting, and better for your health than extreme changes – which can not only cause stress to your body, but are much harder for you to maintain within your lifestyle.
So it’s important to get individualized advice from your semaglutide provider about calorie intake recommendations tailored to your own needs, based on your starting weight and overall health.
Sample semaglutide meal plans and foods to avoid
Here at BodyTonic – as with most clinics and doctors that prescribe semaglutide – we’ll always provide advice and recommendations as part of your overall semaglutide treatment, but we’re not nutritionists so we don’t provide specific semaglutide meal plans. If you want help with this, you should always visit a professional nutritionist.
However, the following are the basic principles that apply to all healthy eating meal plans. And as semaglutide is ideally about kick-starting your weight loss and setting out on a new and sustainable diet and lifestyle, you don’t want to be following a strict diet so much as following healthy guidelines.
If you can integrate the following principles into your diet and lifestyle the majority of the time, you can expect to see great results from your semaglutide treatment – and long into the future…
- Eat lots of fruit and vegetables – such as the Mediterranean diet – to get all the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other nutrients you need
- Eat plenty of protein (it helps burn fat), but choose lean meat, fish, eggs, and plant proteins, and avoid fatty meat
- Choose complex carbohydrates (such as whole grains and brown rice) rather than refined carbohydrates (such as white bread/pasta)
- Healthy (unsaturated) fats such as avocados, nuts, and fish are good for you – but in moderation
- Avoid saturated fats and sugar as much as possible
- Eat regularly throughout the day, and try to avoid carbohydrates in the evenings
- Try to limit your alcohol intake – it’s high in (empty, non-nutritious) calories and typically leads to poor food choices
- Be aware of your approximate overall calorie intake, but there’s no need to count every calorie
- Portion control is key – measure out what you need if you’re inclined to eat bigger portions than necessary
Support on your semaglutide weight-loss journey at Body Tonic Cleveland
Semaglutide is proving to be an answer to many people’s prayers when it comes to finally being able to lose weight they’ve struggled with for years.
When combined with a healthy diet and more-active lifestyle, the results are nothing short of exceptional – not only in the short term, but for a long-lasting healthier and slimmer you.
If you live in or around Cleveland and think semaglutide might be your answer to successful weight loss, come and see us at BodyTonic Med Spa. We’re proud to be offering this life-changing treatment to our clients, and are ready to support you through this incredible treatment.
Book a consultation today, and let’s get you started on your final weight-loss journey!